What happens to mice after eating poison?

The poisons used to kill mice and rats are known as rodenticides, and they work as anticoagulant poisons. As anticoagulants, these poisons prevent mice’s blood from clotting properly. As their blood continues to thin, the mice start bleeding internally. It is this internal bleeding that ultimately kills them. 

After ingesting the poisoned bait, mice will live for between 3 and 10 days, depending on the dose consumed. As the poison begins to take effect, the mice will soon lose their appetites and stop eating. As a result, they are unlikely to consume any subsequent doses after their initial poisoning. 

There are many misconceptions about rodenticides and how they work. For example, some people think that these poisons make the rodents thirsty, causing them to venture outside searching for water before they die. In fact, after the poison has taken effect, the mice can die just about anywhere. Most mice only leave their nests to scavenge for food, so they’re most likely to die in the vicinity of their nest. However, mice can also die behind walls, in ventilation ducts, or other places they are difficult to extract from. 

Anticoagulants do affect the rodents’ appetites, and they might also make them thirsty, but the notion they cause the poisoned mice to head outside is a misconception. There are also misconceptions about the dangers that mouse poison poses to people and pets. The mouse poison available for consumers to purchase isn’t as strong as the professional-grade poisons that contractors can access. Consumer-grade rodenticides are unlikely to cause serious harm to people or pets, but you should keep small children and pets away from them as a precaution.

At vero eos et accusamus et iusto odio digni goikussimos ducimus qui to bonfo blanditiis praese. Ntium voluum deleniti atque.

Melbourne, Australia
(Sat - Thursday)
(10am - 05 pm)