How long do mice live after eating bait?

Poison is one of the most effective pest control methods available for dealing with mouse infestations. Like mousetraps, poison is a passive measure; once you’ve laid the bait around your property, you don’t need to do anything else other than wait. While poison offers an effective and straightforward method of reducing the number of mice on your property, it’s not without its drawbacks. 

The main difficulty of using poison to kill mice is that it takes time to have an effect. After mice eat poisoned bait, there will be a delay before they actually die. During this time, if they make their way behind your wall cavities or into a dark corner of your attic, that is where they will die. Before long, they will begin to decompose, creating a foul stench and attracting other pests as they do.

There are multiple types of mouse poison available in the UK, some of which are restricted to professional use only. Professional mouse poison is more potent than the products consumers can buy themselves, and there are restrictions on when and how it is used.

Regardless of the type of poison used, it will take at least a couple of days, sometimes a week or more, to take effect and kill the poisoned rodent. Once a mouse has consumed poisoned bait, it will lose its appetite and won’t eat any other bait. 

Make sure you read the instruction leaflet that comes with any mouse poison you use carefully, and ensure you don’t place poisoned bait anywhere that children or pets might inadvertently consume it. Professional pest controllers can advise you on any precautions you need to take with the products they use, and they will only use poisons suitable for your property.

At vero eos et accusamus et iusto odio digni goikussimos ducimus qui to bonfo blanditiis praese. Ntium voluum deleniti atque.

Melbourne, Australia
(Sat - Thursday)
(10am - 05 pm)