How does rat poison kill rats?
Rat poisons belong to a class of poisons known as rodenticides. Both mice and rats are dispatched using the same toxins, albeit in different concentrations. Rats are larger animals, meaning they require a larger dose of poison to kill. Several compounds are commonly used in rodenticides, but they are all very similar in terms of their effects and the risks they pose to other animals and people.
These poisons are anticoagulants, meaning they interfere with the blood’s ability to clot. In doing so, they thin the rat’s blood until it can no longer be contained within its circulatory system. This eventually leads to internal bleeding, and the rat dies of blood loss.
There are many misunderstandings about these poisons and the effects they have. Contrary to what some people claim, rat poisons don’t cause unnecessary pain to affected rats. They do take some time to kill the rodents, usually a couple of days, but they don’t cause severe pain, as some people claim. Another common belief is that rat, and mouse poisons are designed to drive the creatures outside so they don’t die behind walls or in attics and other hard to reach places. However, this isn’t the case. While rodenticides might cause dehydration and rodents may venture outside in an attempt to find water, this is far from guaranteed.
Commercial rat poisons are designed to speed up the decomposition process. Rats that die from poisoning will decay faster than those that die of natural causes. This faster decay means their carcasses and the smell of their decay don’t linger as long in your home. However, a quicker decomposition rate doesn’t solve this problem entirely. If you use rat poison to deal with an infestation on your property, you need to be prepared to deal with the inevitable stench it will cause.
So how does rat poison kill rats?
Rat poison typically contains a compound called anticoagulant which prevents the rat’s blood from clotting. This causes the rat to bleed internally, leading to death. Rat poison may also contain a compound called bromethalin which causes brain swelling and seizures, leading to death. Some rat poisons also contain a compound called cholecalciferol which causes kidney failure, leading to death.
Why use rat poison instead of a rat trap?
A rat trap is the best way to kill a single adult or juvenile rat. If you have a large group of rats in your attic, however, using several traps will not be effective because another rat will quickly replace the deadrat. Rat poison, on the other hand, will kill all of the rats in a given area over a period of time.
Are rat poisons safe?
Rat poisons are safe when used as directed. However, they can be dangerous if ingested by humans or pets. It is important to keep rat poison away from children and pets. If You are concerned that you or your pets may have consumed rat poison, contact the Poison Control Center
What are some alternatives to using rat poison?
There is no way to completely prevent rodents from entering your home or nesting in your attic. If you don’t want to use poisonous chemicals in your home, there are several other ways to control rodents:
- Keep your kitchen and pantry free of crumbs and food debris by sweeping floors daily and wiping off counters, stovetops and tabletops after each meal. Store all food (including pet food) in rodent-proof containers such as glass jars with tight fitting lids.
- Use metal mesh or hardware cloth to cover vents, chimneys and openings into your attic, basement or garage.
- Install a door sweep on all exterior doors leading into your home.
- Place traps (either the snap variety or electronic) in areas where you have seen evidence of rodents.
- Call a professional pest control company to remove rodents from your home.
How To Get Rid of rats
Read more about pest control services for rats in London.
Get in touch with Bon Accord your local pest control expert.
Pest advice for controlling Rats from BPCA